Friday, April 20, 2007

still misbehavin' in b-town

if you're an avid reader of this blog, then you might have noticed that i've got quite a talent for acting offensively in the face of authority. if you're not an avid reader of this blog, then you're above all a lazy bastard and should read up the posts "nefertiti rocks" and "airport rebel in the poorhouse" first before proceeding further with this post.

anyway, i continued my museum tour of b-town yesterday by visiting the "gemaeldegalerie" which translated means "gallery of paintings". it's got the old stuff, tizian, rubens, raffael etc. and it's quite an interesting place. in one room they even explain the history of one of their paintings by showing the unrestored version, x-rays that reveal changes in the original concept of the painter and how they fixed the damages the picture endured over the years. and of course you can see the restored version too and it's really quite cool.

but of course i've had another clash with my friends, the museum guards :( since it was quite warm, i took off my jacket and carried it over my arm. which was a problem as the guard told me that i couldn't do that. i was only allowed to tie the jacket around my waist (huh?). anyway, i readily complied - only to commit my next crime a moment later. see, there were lines on the museum floor to keep people at least half a yard away from the paintings. and one of my feet must have accidentally overstepped that line which is essentially the fault of my converse sneakers as they're actually a size too big. so i might not have noticed that my foot stuck into the forbidden area by an inch or two. but the guard noticed right away and jumped and yelled at me as if i had just made an attempt to destroy the museum.

now i've been to the getty center, lacma, british museum and probably two dozen others and i've never ever had problems like that before. and i'm actually planing to go to the louvre or prado this year which now starts to worry me. maybe i'm not ready for the big ones yet? is there maybe a class which i could take to learn the proper museum etiquette?

anyway, i've seen some pretty cool pieces of art there and i elaborate on them in the post below which carries the title "ancient art, interpreted by me" which should actually be a warning in itself. still, enjoy!

2 comments:

Trey Trellington said...

At a museum in Bergen an employee yelled at me for quite a while before I noticed. Apparently, she was shouting "Do you speak Norwegian?" which I don't, so I hadn't noticed she was yelling at me. After she figured out I was American, she told me that I was not allowed to wear my backpack on my back, so I had to wear it on my front, like some sort of bizarre pregnancy pouch the rest of my time there. When I got back to my friend's place, all of the Norwegians were mystified as to why this docent would have me do such a thing, so I just figured they just like to fuck with foreigners.

antonia said...

i feel for you...but i'm german. i'm not a foreigner, so why would they fuck with me like that?