Monday, April 16, 2007

kissing the social loser (aka the teutonic dating style)

the social loser, that would be me. and i'm being all frank here. i've now spent more than three months in b-town and i still don't have any friends. sure, there are my roommates. but i figure they've got to be nice to me to ensure the proper payment of my rent. and my feeling of friendlessness has gotten only worse as i just realized that back in LA i've met a handful of people in just the first month, all of whom i still consider my friends seven years later. no, the problem in LA rather seemed to be that i couldn't get any dates. but here in b-town every time i meet a new friend, they just wanna snog. i guess germans find wallowing in self-pity sexy.

i base this especially on my experiences with two exemplars of the german male. the first one i met online when i was looking for apartments. it turned out that this guy had moved from LA to b-town just a few months prior to me. so we've met up to chat about our experiences over there. he then proceeded to take me to that party at "the big blue" (see post below) in order to introduce me to some of his friends - which he didn't do. instead he started snogging and i -desperate for a friend- snogged back, although it was just so-so. but desperate times ask for desperate measures. and desperate times they were, because already two days later i had to decline his invitation to go to the flea market due to earlier plans. nonetheless i offered to meet up with him another time. but alas, not going to the flea market must be a fatal blow to the german male' s psyche as i've never heard from him again.

then i met eye candy. eye candy was just that, but rather boring to talk to. but i figured he at least did talk to me unlike the rest of the b-town population (3.4 million after all). so i figured why not and started a friendship with him - and then he snogged me. and it wasn't just that, he actually gave me the kiss of death. literally and figurally, as i never heard from him again since and was lying in bed with a heavy flu for the following two weeks.

all of this has made me extremely hesitant to acquire another friend here. and just to clear things up, i had been very adamant of letting those blokes know that what i was looking for is a friend. actually now that i'm rethinking this, i wonder if they didn't find my self-pity sexy at all, but rather looked for a sure way to make me shut up.

2 comments:

Trey Trellington said...

But at least there, they're not asking you how they look first... ;)

Naz said...

I'm going to start throwing the word "snogging" into my conversations. You're right - it IS hard to find datable guys in L.A. Send some Germans this way!